Published: 25 May, 2012
by PETER GRUNER
CHURCHES across Islington are hosting “Soul in the City”, a week of free fun, food and activities from Friday, June 1, to Sunday, June 10.
Vicar of St Mary’s Islington, Simon Harvey, said: “Islington is such a diverse place and we’re trying to reflect that in the festival. It is for everyone but particularly young people, families and local school children [who will be on half-term that week], local residents and local businesses. We’re looking to help people connect with each other and connect with God.”
Some planned activities include a Queen’s Jubilee afternoon street party, talent shows, cleaning of estates, an opera, a gospel choir concert and family fun days over several locations.
Arsenal FC will be running a penalty shoot-out session, Street Athletics are planning an afternoon of races; there will be other football and basketball tournaments, and at St Mary’s Islington there will be a “15-minute church” during the lunch hour from Wednesday to Friday. St Mary Magdalene will also host a Prayer Cafe on Saturday June 9.
In addition, the south London group Gospel Tongues will hold a hip hop concert, Mobo award-winning artist Jahaziel will be performing and various rap, lyric writing and drama workshops will be on offer.
• St Mary’s Islington Parish: Kristin Breuss (Festival Director) – email@example.com
• Tollington and Finsbury Park (Andover and surrounding estates): Maria Modarres (Event Administrator) – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bemerton: Andy Kitchen (Event Organising team) – email@example.com
• Lower Holloway / St Mary Magdalene and St David’s Parish: Paul Zaphiriou or Jonathan Rust – 020 7607 2203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• House On The Rock, Tufnell Park: Kayode Adisa (Administrator) – 020 7354 6260 or email Kayode@hotr.org.uk